3.09.2014

Simple Sundays/Carriers of Faith!


Blessings to you this Sunday!
If you are here to read my Simple Sundays or Carriers of Faith,
please scroll down - this post is one in the same! :)

First, thank you all for the wonderful 'virtual' hugs on my hand which
has started to heal - yay!  The dryer (company) is definitely going to be in trouble as dh simply is not going to stand for this, he says ;)
 
I actually LOVE LOVE LOVE line dried clothes!
I mentioned I'd be just as pleased to hang the clothes outdoors,
much to an eyebrow raising and a kiss on my hand to tell me
"Oh no, that just won't do."
I'm married to a most wonderful man, indeed :)
 
 
 
For this Simple Sunday installment on my blog,
 I created another CAS card literally using all scraps from my desk
 from recent card makings. 
Each piece, small andl large, are all part of something else!
I love creating for Simple Sundays because it gives me a serenity and calmness knowing that this post is never rushed, purposeful other than to be thankful in the blessings in my life.
 From the leftover burlap to the small daisys using a punch and the small wooden tag which I stamped with Archival ink, I came up with this.
This card was designed after seeing a similar one on Pinterest
(unable to find the link now )
 where she used prima flowers and yellow brads and a paper banner.
  I wanted to keep an earthy feel and went with a wooden banner which I stamped onto the wood.
My first attempt with Momento had the worst bleeding - the ink ran into the wood and just spread outward.
I tried it again with Archival and it wasn't as bad - not perfect - just okay.
If anyone has any tips on how to stamp into the wood without bleeding,
please share it with me!  I have many more of these wooden tags
and would love to stamp on them again :)


Today is also the day the Carriers of Faith post to our blogs
with a chosen topic and photo.
This month, our hostess is Zella - who gave us this theme to reflect on:

March Challenge: Thankfullness

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you ~   1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately. Then last night I was talking with a friend at church and she said "don't you sometimes feel like our prayers are list a list of requests?". That really challenged me. Yes, we are supposed to take our needs and requests to Him. But our prayers should also be about praise and worship - about thanking Him for ALL He has done for us. These verses are short - but the are packed with power! "Rejoice evermore". It's a choice you know? I chose to rejoice because He has made me exceedingly glad! I chose to rejoice even when things are difficult because He will bring me through and He is right by my side!

So what am I asking for with regards to your posts and pictures? Two things:
1. Share about something that you are thankful for....not the big things that everyone is always thankful for - but those little things that we seem to overlook...that we take for granted.
2. Share about why you rejoice and why you worship Him.
(And of course share photos!)


Thank you, Zella!  What a beautiful scripture and prayerful words to think about.
Being thankful is something I strive for every day and try to incorporate it
in the smallest of ways.
There are days where I do just that, grateful to the heavens and back
for all the joy and wonderful things I have.
And then there are so days where I fail miserably.
But to pray without ceasing is a gift you not only give to yourself,
and back again to our Savior, but to those around you who you touch by witnessing. 

It's hard to narrow down one thing I am thankful for!
So I will share one of the things that touched my heart this past week.
I lost my dad on March 3 when he passed away, 8 years ago.
This is always a difficult time of the year for me
and I'd had a particularly bad week (everything that could go wrong, did!)
I love to sit in my backyard and enjoy the beauty that it offers -
either a leisure dip in the pool and floating around on a lounge chair,
or reading a book at the table, sipping coffee ...
even swinging on the kids swing set, even when they aren't home :)
Thing is, I feel closest to my dad out there, too.
He loved piddling around in the backyard, picking at the weeds,
watering plants, feeding the bird and talking to our dogs we had at the time.
When he passed away, we planted a memorial tree in his honor.
The girls were little at the time (and my son just an infant)
and they picked a 'pretty tree!' at the plant nursery - turns out it was a hibiscus.
This tree has not grown a single blossom ALL YEAR.
Could be this crazy cooky weather we've been having down South -
blazing hot one minute and then freezing the next.
Our citrus trees have gone overboard and we've learned don't stand under
it unless you want to get hit in the head with oranges!
They are literally DROPPING - just like that, no warning!

But dad's tree?
Nothing.
Bare.

Until the first of March.
I saw the first bud sprouting and smiled.
This flowering tree finally heard my prayer and so did Dad ...
I just know it.
Would you believe, on March 3rd - I came outside and there was not just
one beautiful bud open to a gorgeous bloom ...
but 5!!!
It's like I tell my kids -
believe in your heart and it will be so.

I was very thankful indeed :)
Here is one of the gorgeous blooms ...


Wow, what a long post!
Thank you if you made it this far :)
 
This is my 73 card of the year in the 100/100 challenge
 
 
This is a hop and from here you will be off to visit Barb.
Hopefully you arrived from April's blog.
The COF blogs are not always linked
up in blog hop fashion so I merely invite you to stop in and visit
all the COF girls if you can and see what they have to share with you this day.
 
As always, I'm thankful for each of you!
Big hugs, Bigger Blessings!
~Kelly
 
Card entered into:  HIMCR - Super Scraps
 
 

35 comments:

  1. First let me say "praise God" that your hand is healing. :). I love cloths on the line also, as a child everyone did. I love your card, so cool. Love the burlap and daisy's with the buttons are a nice touch. For the wood. I paint it before stamping, with the 60 cent white acrylic paint. That is what I learned from some artsy crafty friends :).
    We just had this discussion about prayer last Sunday in women's meeting. Prayer is a privilege and a high cost has been given for use to have this privilege, and yes prayer is worship. Love your post. sending you Sunday Hugs & Smooches :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Love the burlap and flower combination.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Sunday! Gorgeous CAS design with wonderful textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very beautiful Kelly!! Really love the burlap texture on it! Thanks for sharing! Hey…I have some blog candy up for grabs if you’re interested! CLICK HERE TO ENTER! If you’ve already entered, then good luck to you! Hugs - *Vicki*

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Loving the use of burlap! Thanks so much for playing along in my March wordplay challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous card!! I love the burlap background!! The flowers are so pretty!!

    I'm glad your hand is healing!! And what an awesome story about your the tree you planted in memory of your Dad!! The flower is beautiful!! Have a wonderful day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card. I love the burlap and the ribbon for leaves. It is so beautiful. Love the beautiful Hibiscus. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Kelly, first off beautiful card...I love how you used the burlap and the card turned out just perfect. Second I love the post regarding your prayers. I can feel myself sitting in the pool with you and wishing I was under the citrus tree catching fresh fruit and enjoying the freshness of it. I am so pleased that your dad sent you blooms on the 3rd...he knew how much you needed them. Praise the lord for the Angels in our lives...
    Love ya sweet Kelly....♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a really beautiful card

    this weeks it's one layer card week over at less is more so its not eligible :-)
    Thanks for joining us this week
    Jen xx
    Less Is More

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card!! Love the burlap and how you stamped on the veneer. I have no tips since I haven't tried it myself.

    I love the rest of your post as well. I got goosebumps when you said the tree bloomed! What gorgeous flowers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card, love the daisies on the burlap, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly, Praise Jesus!!! I'm so glad to hear your hand is healing!!! Your post touched my heart....hearing about your dad...and the tree....and isn't that just like God to have the tree bud exactly when you really needed to see it!! Thank you for sharing your heart. Love you lots!!! And continuing to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kelly, what a beautifully written blog post. Your words about your dad and "his" tree are so touching. And the photo of it... WOW!

    I also love your card.

    Thank you for being such a beautiful Christian!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah - someone else who uses the expression 'piddling around' - love it!! Wasn't God so good to have the blossoms open on 'the day'!!

    Love your long and winding post Kelly - I get to know you a bit more that way, and I am thankful for your friendship and for you!

    Your card is a delight too :-)

    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is gorgeous! Burlap and daisys are a great combo:) we have two potted hibiscus on our deck. I enjoy them every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So gorgeous Kelly! Love the burlap & flower combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a lovely card! Hope your hand gets better soon! I cannot wait for the warm weather so I can go back to hanging my clothes outside. I don't have a dryer, so it is a bit of a hassle. If we ever move, it will be on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love reading your posts Kelly! You have a wonderful way with words. Your story about your dad is so touching. I'm so close with my own dad so I can understand your feelings. What a gorgeous bloom though and definitely a sign he is watching over you and your family! I must have missed the post on your hand but hope it gets better soon. Oh and you card is gorgeous! I have a bunch of leftover burlap so I think I might need to scraplift some of your ideas to make some cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a beautiful CAS and summery design. Love the texture in the background.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kelly what a truly beautiful post all round from your gorgeous card using the burlap to sharing of Zella's thoughts to your response to her request. Your hibiscus is just beautiful and I am so pleased to hear your hand is on the mend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the burlap as the backdrop for your card, and the simple blossoms. I would try Stazon on the wood, but not sure that will work either...... Loving your Thankful write-up and how awesome to have those Gorgeous flowers blooming! God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Today is the last day to sign up for the swap at chick w/ power tools if you would like to join.
    Very pretty project, and very pretty flower. We are still snow covered.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is simple and BEAUTIFUL! What a great way to use a little burlap. Love this card so much! Healing Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Must copy this one, Kelly!! It is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love the textures on your card. Such a creative idea using your embellies!

    I do hope that your hand is healing. I so hate burns and their hurt!

    That flower is amazing! So pretty to see in your own yard.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is one of the good articles you can find in the net explaining everything in detail regarding the topic. I thank for taking your time sharing your thoughts and ideas to a lot of readers out there.
    Cccam Server

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ouch I trust by now that your burn is healing Kelly. Line dried clothes are the best too I think! But then our climate is great for this. Your card is a sweetie...burlap is such a great colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it, and that burlap is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is rerally neat. I love the mix of textures. Thanks for playing at HIMCR.

    ReplyDelete
  31. love love loveeee this!!!!
    Permission to case pleeeaaazzzzz!!!
    So beautiful in all its simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the look of this card with the bright white and yellow flowers on the burlap. Everything pops.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This card is GORGEOUS!! I think I have some burlap laying around-I need to find it, stat. The flower is beautiful. Hibiscus are one of my favorite flowering plants ever. We can't keep them here (too cold) so I have the next best thing-swamp mallow. It looks just like a hibiscus but it's cold-hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful card! The burlap is wonderful! Thanks for joining us this week at HIMCR!

    Hiding in My Craft Room
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is simply stunning Thanks for joining the Imagination Crafts Challenge hope to see you again soon xxx

    ReplyDelete